JRMC 7340

The class blog for the JRMC 7340: Graduate Newsroom course taught at the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Week 4 Reading

This weeks reading is about investigative reporting and the weakening watchdog role of journalism. I thought it was interesting when Kovach and Rosenstiel talked about how new investigative reporting is mostly “tabloid treatment of everyday events” (151).  When I first read this I was surprised because I hadn’t really thought about what was investigative journalism and what wasn’t. I just watch or read the news and don’t think about which stories are investigative.

When I thought more about what Kovach and Rosenstiel said, I realized I had been exposed to these types of stories a lot without even realizing it. Watching things like local television news and seeing stories about what’s really in your food…I never thought that was investigative journalism. It’s sad to think that this is what we consider investigative journalism and that we are relying on each other as watchdogs.


The press was designed to keep those in power in check and now it’s primary job is being compromised.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, Lindsey. I think that the role of the watchdog has dramatically changed. We live in a celebrity driven culture, and the investigative pieces found in the tabloids reign supreme. I don't see this function of the watchdog changing anytime soon either. American's are vain, and there's a huge market for entertainment news. It's crazy to think that a show like E! News is receiving top advertising dollars for their news coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. I never realized that a lot of types of journalism can actually fall under the category of investigative journalism. The book explains how investigative journalism can really lead to controversy and debate because of who the story might be about, and it seems that are the more important types of investigative reporting. We also see a lot of movies about them, so they are easier to identify, but really, it's true that a lot of what we see on tv and in news can be considered investigative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "real story" about Brad and Angelina is not investigative journalism. True dat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the point on local news is great; "Coming up, are you eating poison?" And you can get completely drawn into it without even thinking about the sources, and if it may be more of an opinion than a news story.

    ReplyDelete