JRMC 7340

The class blog for the JRMC 7340: Graduate Newsroom course taught at the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia.

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Reading Response 4

The first chapter of News Reporting discussed history, and how journalists are the shapers of history. I also recently learned that journalists are also considered to be America’s first historians in a way because the stories they wrote are what people look back at to remember important time in history.
I was reminded how tedious the job is. Every fact in their reporting has to be accurate and cited to show how it’s factual. The more information a journalist can gather for a story, the better the story is, but I was so surprised by some of the scandals journalists can uncover just by doing some reporting.  
The layered editing was something that we’d brought up during class, and it is something that can makes a news story great. When writing a story, I need to keep in mind that it helps to take a break and come back to it. Good editing can make a story 10 times better. Something that surprised me during this chapter was how many sources are needed for the reporting of a good story. Journalists have to talk to many different people and do a lot of research to make sure that the story is accurate and interesting to read.
Research is a big factor in reporting because it’s what makes a story credible. Something that can bring your audience in because it relates to them is numbers. I never realized how heavily a journalist’s job relies on numbers, but as Chapter 8 explains, being bale to interpret and understand numbers can make a different in a story. When a journalist factors in numbers for their story people are able to see the impact that whatever the story is reporting has.
It was really interesting hearing about how investigative reporting got started and how essential it can be in investigating a crime. I enjoyed hearing how the court has supported the need for journalists to report news stories on what they’ve investigated, and I feel like because of journalists, a lot of crime could have gone unnoticed in the past.

4 comments:

  1. One of the things that got beaten into me was to have multiple source stories. It wasn't always easy to do this and sometimes I would get annoyed at hearing my editor say it over and over. I realized later, however that using multiple sources in a story could make a big difference. I was able to turn stories that didn't seem interesting on the surface into something that turned out to actually be pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that you bring up the concept that journalists are sometimes considered America's first historians. This same concept of the cross-section of journalism and history came up in Professor Janice Hume's lecture on last Friday. Newspaper's were most American's only source to news before radio and TV and readers' took the information in them as fact. I still believe journalist play an important role in shaping history. They are responsible to disseminating information first and, in effect, news stories are how many will remember history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought it was interesting that you brought up the link between journalism and history. I never really thought about that before, but when I wrote my history senior seminar paper, newspaper archives were often one of my first sources. The burden is now on us to make sure that our stories are reliable, accurate sources for those in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Now you know that long after a news story is written, errors can mess up historians and students!

    ReplyDelete