JRMC 7340

The class blog for the JRMC 7340: Graduate Newsroom course taught at the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at the University of Georgia.

Monday, September 8, 2014

Twitter articles

When reading the articles about Twitter as an emerging news source, a couple of things stood out to me. I thought the statistics in the Twitter news consumers article were interesting. The fact that those who use Twitter as a news source tend to be younger was not surprising, but the fact that the Twitter users are more educated. “Four-in-ten (40%) Twitter news consumers have at least a bachelor’s degree, compared with 29% of the total population and 30% of Facebook news consumers.” (Mitchell and Guskin) When I think more about this it makes sense, but I never thought about it before. I only recently started getting my news from Twitter. Now that there is so much news out there it can become overwhelming so I finally gave in to using it for news.

I also thought the statistics about how people’s opinions changed regarding major issues after they’d been on Twitter were interesting. I think this is one of the reasons Twitter is an important tool for journalists. Twitter lends itself to the evolving nature of news stories, which allows journalists to get the story out as it develops.





No comments:

Post a Comment